venerdì 11 marzo 2016

Dianne Van Giersbergen talks with us in London during Xandria show!


Les Fleurs Du Mal had the opportunity for a quick catch up with Dianne Van Giersbergen the very talented lead singer of Xandria, before they hit the stage the London Underground on their tour accompanying the new EP, Fire and Ashes. The show saw a very enthusiastic live audience join the seasoned band in a very well oiled performance that, for certain, did not leave the gathered fans disappointed. Dianne was her usual explosive self bringing her powerful voice and million dollar smile to the ticket, both in our interview and on stage. We wish them good luck for the rest of the tour and the new release.

Interview & photo by Pamsicle

LFdM: Hi Dianne, thank you for taking the time to talk to the Les Fleurs du Mal - Fire & Ashes is an EP with some old works and three new songs, would you like to introduce it for our readers? The concept and inspiration and why you went for EP instead of a full release? 
Well the EP is more of a snack in between; we are working on a new album but we wanted to give our fans a little bite to enjoy in the meantime and another reason is that with the EP you can do cool stuff, things you wouldn't do on a album, like the two remakes and two covers. 

LFdM: I read you both enjoy a good movie and tv show and my guess is with being on tour so much, entertainment is key to take a break and relax, so, talking about inspiration, has any of it seeped through in the music? 
Well, definitely. Sweet Atonement is course based on the novel Atonement, another one is life experience of mine, the title surely comes from the novel. Also, it was a  very good movie. 

LFdM: Sacrificium did pretty good in the American market, any plans to hit the States again? And more in general, what are the live show plans past July?
Well in May we are also going to Russia, we are returning there this year after two very successful shows last year. We have of course plans to return to America but as you might guess it takes a lot of organisation and there are no dates release yet but last years have been so successful, we have been to Asia, to the United Emirates, India...

LFdM: How was the Dubai experience if I may ask?
Actually non that big of a difference with here, India for sure was different though. Dubai, I expected it be a bit more strict but I found find it open and very, very western.

LFdM: Will you be writing new lyrics for the new album as you did in Sacrificium?
Yes, together with Marco we both work on the lyrics as a team. 

LFdM: Could you spare a few words on your writing process? Music first? Lyrics later?
Yeah, for sure, the music follows our vision, lyrics are very important as sound is and the lyrics come on top as a classical singer I am used to having it the other way around as for example in the classical area, and also in the romantic area, music was set to already existing poems. That is also a way of working that I've done with Ex Libris now and then but for Xandria the music comes first. 

LFdM: Metal covers are a the perfect music comfort "food", I loved your Meatloaf cover, "I'd do anything for love”. Why did you choose that one song in particular?
Meatloat it came to be on our first photoshoot for Sacrificium, we discovered, while playing a bit around with music during the shoot that we are all big Meatloaf fans and started to sing along to the songs and then we decided that if we were ever going to do a cover it'd surely be one of his songs. And you can do so much with this song in terms of vocals. Especially because it was kind of my decision to turn the parts around because, hey, I am not gonna give the star part away (chuckles). And it also gave it an interesting angle because with changing the male and the female part, it does not make it your usual cover and it gives it a different twist. I think that it's a plus.

LFdM: Do you have any other non musical engagements?
I make jewelry! Out of guitars and bass guitar strings, played by the boys and other bands, like Delain, Stream of Passion, Ex Libris of couse, Epica, well, a lot of bands! 

LFdM: Did you go do jewelry design schools?
No! It's all self taught. I love jewelry so much, it's called Precious Metals. I am on Facebook, I can have amazing interaction with the fans there. Websites are so cold and not personal. 

LFdM: How much would you say your interact with your fans on the socials? 
If I find the time, I try to engage with them the more I can. I don't want to find moderators or middle people, it's not me anymore. Even for Xandria, it's just us working on the social media, mostly me. It is almost a day time, a lot of work! 

LFdM: So you've been in the band two and a half years. And they've changed many a singer before (laughs). How are you finding it?
I am loving it, I brought in who I am. I've studied seven years at the Conservatorium, I did my Bachelors and Masters and then I did my own research in how to use my voice in metal music and I did that all before I joined Xandria. So when I joined I really knew so much of who I am with my voice and what my voice can do that there was no way that I would join a band and then mold myself into a picture. What you hear and what you see is me. And of course two worlds had to be blended, so, me and the boys and the music; I think it has all come together but it's something, trying not to mold yourself into something you are not only because the previous singer did it like this.

Thank you, Dianne for taking the time to talk to us at Les Fleurs Du Mal. 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento